Tuesday, August 7, 2012

HERE TODAY, GONE TOMORROW...NOT EXACTLY

Like bell bottom jeans and wide ties in fashion, there are universal items we use in our lives that wax and wane with popularity.  Some antique professionals believe today's buying trends are based on the content of the current magazines and what people see on television.  I admit I think that's part of the reason.  I also think it has to do with need.

We set up housekeeping with the essentials we need and fill in the blanks as we go along.  Our parents and their parents before them did the same thing.  So I believe it's this cycle of "family" that spurns the need to have certain "remembered" possessions and if they aren't handed down then we set out looking for them.

Some find when they set up housekeeping with the new items they've purchased or been gifted, those items break or wear out in 2, 5 or 10 years.  Items grandma or grandpa used are still around so in essence we are able to recycle and reuse those tried and treasured items.  I use a little mixture of both the old and new in my daily life and I think I'm happier for it.  It's mostly positive reinforcement to me to use the "tried and treasured" items.

An article in the May, 2011 edition of Country Living magazine remarks "It used to be you could tell when a woman got married by the Pyrex in her kitchen."  Said quote was made by Barbara Mauzy, author of Pyrex: The Unauthorized Collector's Guide.  The Corning Company introduced Pyrex in 1915 and advertised  it as the first glass cookware able to withstand extreme temperature shifts stating "it could take a meatloaf straight from the freezer to a 350-degree oven."  Solid colors were introduced in 1947 with patterns to follow seven years later.

With the multiple antique dealers we have here at the Olde Barn Centre, you'll find various shapes, sizes and colors in the Pyrex line.  Pyrex and other items from the Corning family are items I would consider "tried and treasured".  And completely affordable to those just starting out on their adventure of collecting.

The Olde Barn Centre is open every day from 10 am to 5 pm.  Now that the summer is winding down, if you haven't already maybe it's time to visit the Olde Barn Centre.



1 comment:

  1. Oh, my gosh, I have to get to your store someday! Maybe next time Mike and I drive to Ohio we can do a side trip your way. It looks like a fascinating place.
    Don't know if you'll get this since you posted a while back, but thanks so much for your call and for visiting my family blog. Honestly, it's nice to have someone reading it!
    Doing okay. The generator is noisy, but hey, it's power at least. And the utility folks have finally started on our block!

    ReplyDelete